Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Curse of Writing Fanfiction

People don't normally tell you that there's a curse to writing fanfiction. It happens to all writers, but it tends to be worse when you write fanfiction on a regular basis. You see, you can make fanfiction off of just about anything. Once you've trained your mind to get writing ideas, they seem to come from everywhere. Everywhere.

For example, I've been trying to work out what fanfictions I'll be writing later this year. I'm planning two different sequel fanfictions to continue some of the ideas I've already had. Which two? Well, I'm not telling you. What I will tell you is that you could probably find both of them on Polyvore. (I tend to give away major plot points on Polyvore very casually. Just FYI.)

But everything I watch seemed to have some sort of way for me to make fanfiction out of it. I've been watching more and more musicals and shows lately - including Star Trek. Here's where we're going to go into story mode...

The thing about Star Trek is that I had only seen three movies - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, the new Star Trek movie, and Star Trek: Into Darkness. I could hardly use that as grounds to call myself a part of fandom.

Still, from what little knowledge I had, I wanted to make a fanfiction. I cultivated ideas within me like bacteria - one idea split into another, and another, and another. Soon I had a solid story idea. But since I didn't consider myself a part of the fandom, I forced myself to do nothing about it.  The idea had all but faded away...

And then I started watching the original story. All those ideas came flooding back, but with a canon character being featured as an MC. Whether or not I plan to bring it back up again is another story, but it certainly isn't impossible.

I've had ideas and longings to write fanfiction for all sorts of things - Lord of the Rings, Les Miserables, and Legend of Zelda, just to name a few. (No clue why they all begin with L.) Many of them I have ideas for - one of which I have completely plotted out, with several thousand words written! But since I have so many fanfictions I plan for, they end up being pushed aside.

If I tried, I could probably write a fanfiction for every single show and book and movie and musical that I've ever enjoyed. But I'm not going to. Instead, I'm going to stick to what I know I can pull off.

My two big fanfictions at the moment will be done soon. I think I'm going to be focusing on my Greaser!lock fanfiction from that point forwards...and I'm announcing here that it's not going to be on Wattpad. In order to gain a wider audience - as well as hopefully find more people interested in the story - it'll be posted on Archive Of Our Own, also known as AO3.

Don't worry, everyone can still read it and leave "kudos" for me from there. But since it's far more specific than many of my stories and I want my Wattpad stories to focus on my more serious escapades (she says while she has "The TARDIS Cabaret" buried underneath everything), I'm going to be putting it on AO3.

I will leave you with this:
Totally Greaser!lock.
-Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment